Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sleep Sacks

I have this insane paranoia that something is going to happen to my baby.  Seriously, I think it's irrational, but probably not uncommon.  As a parent it is our job to make sure our babies are safe.  SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) was something that kept me up at night when Lilly was first born.  I would go in just to make sure she was breath.  Seriously irrational, I know.  


Now if you haven't read up on SIDS, here are some pointers to reduce the chance of the unthinkable.  



  • Place baby on their backs.
  • Use a firm mattress.
  • No covers, no pillows, no bumper pads, no positioning devices and no toys.
  • Do not place your baby in an adult bed.
  • Do not over-clothe the infant while she sleeps. 
  • Avoid infant exposure to tobacco.
  • Breast-feed your baby.
  • Use a pacifier. 


Rather than feeling helpless you can take steps to ensure the safety of your infant.  




One item I used (and still use) are sleep sacks.  Personally I like Aden+Anais and Halo





Sleep sacks replace loose blankets in the crib that can cover your baby's face and interfere with breathing. Consider using a wearable sleep sack.  Better to be safe than sorry.   

No comments:

Post a Comment