Friday, August 13, 2010

Milk Bags

If you are a pumping mom you are going to need a way to store your precious milk.  I say precious because a) you worked SO hard to get it and b) you will be in a rage if anything happens to it!  This proves that whoever started the saying "don't cry over spilled milk" was not a pumping mom.

If you do not plan on saving any of your milk, simply pump it into a bottle and store on counter or in refrigerator (I will go more into milk storage in a later post).  However, if you plan on building up a supply, you are going to need a more efficient way of storing it.

Lactation consultants suggest freezing the milk in 1 oz ice cube trays so you can take out the exact amount you need for a feeding.  I found this method too time consuming and if you are storing large amounts of milk, this will not work for you (unless you buy a ton of ice cube trays).  Then I tried regular freezer Ziplock bags.  This also did not work as well as I hoped since they did not stack well and took up a lot of space.  Finally, I bought specialized milk storage bags.  In my opinion the  Lansinoh Breastmilk Storage Bags are the best value and they work great.  In all my defrosting I have yet to have a leaky bag. 



Here are some of the specks on this product:

  • Re-sterilized medical grade milk storage bags
  • Patented double zipper seal prevents leakage
  • Convenient write-on tab outside fill area eliminates potential puncture
  • Tamper evident safety seal
  • Tissue Pack Dispenser for easy access and storage
  • 100% Bisphenol-A (BPA) Free

No comments:

Post a Comment